Monday, February 11, 2013

Two Letters Regarding the Pension of John O'Kelly Buxton

Caverna Mcdonald Co MO April the 18th 1879
Dear Friend,
I have at last gained all the information I can get at in reference to Grandfathers Pension papers. My Brother went and seen the people that he was living with and they say that they cant tell what become of his pention papers. he died on the 14th day of February 1874 in the county of Benton, State of Arkansas. he was living with a widow woman by the name of Lanburn. there was a man and family living in a adjoining room to them. I am sorry I cant tell you anything about the land warrant. I can't tell where he was living when he got it. I can't tell four certain what lawyer got his Pention. But I think lawyer Ellis of Bentonville Benton Co Ark. got it for him. I do not no the lawyers given name. My brother forgot to get the nane of the post office or those people but if you have to have the name we will try and get it for you and if there is anything else I can do for you in the Prosecution of Grandmothers claim I will do all I can. But my wife's health is so bad I can't leave home to do anything. She has not bin able to do anything really for five years. I am almost broken up paying doctor bills and medicine. I have sold my place to fix for traveling with her to see if that will not help her. I want to start west in a month or two. hoping this finds you all well. I will close.
Your Respectfully
Thomas R Buxton

From the law office of
John H Stotsenburg
103 Pearl Street
New Albany, Ind., May 22nd, 1879

Commissioner of Pensions
Dear Sir,
In answer to the enclosed I beg leave to say that the only information Frances Buxton has been able to obtain as to the points desired by you is contained in the accompanying letter of Thomas R Buxton. It seems from that the old man must have applied from Bentonville, Benton County Arkansas.
I trust that you may be able to speedily find the evidences for the claimant is very old and feeble.
Yours respectfully
John H Stotsenburg

No comments: