Monday, February 11, 2013

To Mills W Buxton from his nephew, Thomas Ramah Buxton

Caverna, Mcdonald Co, MO July the 7th 1878
Dear Uncle, I received your kind letter and was glad to hear from you but sorry to hear of your wifes afflictions. I no how to sympathise with you for my wife has bin afflicted for four years and a good deal of the time in bed. Mother and the rest of her family is living close around here except Brother James. He lives in henry co in this state and one sister that is in Texas. Mother was glad to hear from you and would like to no more about the connection and how you are getting along. I will tell you all that I no about Grandfather Buxton. I think the mans name that he lived with is Williams. I do not no his given name, he lives about sixteen or eighteen miles from my house. The people that he was very sick and Brother george went to see about him and he was dead and buried. The people told george that he had nothing more than what put him away decent. I suppose he was well cared for during his sickness. I can't tell you their post office at the present. I will try and get the post office by the time you rite again.
My Blind Brother is living here in the Settlement. he is married. he went to  St Louis and learnt the Broom trade and got schooling. he has got books and can Read as good as any of us. he is preaching. he has license. I have another Brother that is a preacher that I had forgot to tell you about. he lives out in Kansas. he is your name sake.
Well Uncle I would like to no a little more about that land if you can learn anything more I would like for you to go to your county clerk and ask him about it. I would like to no a little more about that survey you spoke about. who was that survey made by and when was it made. we would be willing to pay you for your trouble if you will see in to it a little. there is a lawyer here that sais the deed that we have got is good.
Tell us how many children you have got. we have two. I have bin married ten years.
we have good prospects for crops of most all kinds. wheat will not be a very big yield but the grain is good. every thing is cheap but money is scarce and hard to get. this leaves us in usual health and we truly  these few lines will come duly to hand and find you all well. So I will close by asking you to rite soon.
Respectfully yours Thomas Ramah Buxton
to Mills W. Buxton

No comments: