Thursday, July 16, 2009

Haywood to Susie on Christmas Eve 1924


Castle Stone Wash
Dec 24m 1924
My Dear Susie and Daughter:
You can't guess how glad I was to recieve your letter of the 22, it sure was a life saver. And dear I sure was glad to hear that you got there all O.K.
Well I will try and finish
the kids were just here and brought the milk. Margaret and Charlie. and Marg' told me to tell you to write. How is the Baby? Dear you don't know how I miss her, and also you.

it sure seems funny to come in the house and find it empty, and no baby to run to me and say see see, trying to show me a pile of paper or a stick of wood or some toy. but it wont be long now before you will be home, will it Dear. you know I was planing on going off to work some where but I know now that I cant do it. I couldn't go without you. and whats more I wont. Well dear I guess I never was made to be anything else but a --- what? it seems that I sure am a failure. but I will never get a chance unless I make it my self.
I will close now wishing you and the Baby, and the rest a Merry Xmas and a happy new year. oh yes some one broke the lock on the old man's cellar and stole some potatoew and left the dore open and about

sixty sacks of spuds froze. every body is well down Here, and it is colder than the dickens. lois I mean Sis sent the Baby some kind of silk stuff for a dress. I got it yesterday. Well By,By. Dear and Kiss Juanita for me. and also yourself.
Give my Regards to the rest.
with love
Haywood.

(blogger's note: The envelope is addressed to Mrs. Chas. H. Lewallen, 1522 24th Ave, Seattle, Wash. care of L. Schleicher)

No comments: