Thursday, July 16, 2009

Susie to Haywood - and the cruel joke


Dear Haywood
Well this is the third letter I've written sence I've heard from you last. Perhaps you are busy.
Doug was up last night again. Dad and he are going fishing tonight I guess. You should hear Doug rave about the fruit he canned. he sure seems proud about it.
I've been having an awful time at school the last two days. but over 1/2 girls have been on my side that Goodness. The new girls that start school and a couple of the others sure make me sore. I wouldn't go to school here another year If I had to walk to Kelso. There is just two girls here that think them-selves so nice and catch every new girl and tell her every thing she can think about. Then they catch me and ask all sorts of "?."
It doesn't take so very much to hurt my feelings anyway.
Ma said for me to tell Prof. and see what he would do But nothing doing.
Dad is still raving about me ditching Earl Sun night.
Am going on a hound and Hare hunt tonight. Hoping to have a good tine.
Excuse the scrib for I write a line or two between

class and have to be in a real hurry.
Well must close, Think about answering real soon.
As ever.
Sue.
When will you be down. Listen. You will no doubt get a letter with Earl's name signed to it. Now don't pay any attention for a couple of little devilish freshies found your add on my tablet and thought they'd do some thing smart.
Three girls quit school to-day. Prop insulted them just they way he did a bunch of us last yr.
Ans real soon.

Charles H. Lewallen
168 1/2 10th Morrison
Portland
Ore.

Castle Rock.
Sat
Dear Haywood
Recieved your letter of the 23rd.
Was sure suprised. I showed the letter to Mamma and we are going over town in the morning to Francis's Edmunds mother for I am quite sure he wrote it. He took your add. off a tablet I had at school and said he was going to write to you and sign Earl's name. Then I wrote and told you you might get a letter with Earl's name signed to it. Not to pay any attention to it
for some freshie had gotten your add. But I didn't think he would write or if he did had no idea it would be that kind of a letter. Ma is sure sore but she doesn't really know what to do because Mrs. Ed. says Frances never wrote it Dad would take her side of course. Anything to hurt me. and drop it.
Do you believe I wrote it Haywood? Well if you do I know I never. If I'm not in one lot of H.-- I'm into another it seems. I am going to show this to Eva and I'll bet a nickle it

No comments: